Organizing large DB(s)?

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Organizing large DB(s)?

Postby ffrllc » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:49 pm

I recently switched to FT due to the ability to datamine. I'm able to basically datamine 24 hours a day 7 days a weak so my DB is going to get very large very quickly. I also recently switched my PT2 DB over to PostgreSQL for this reason.

One idea to keep things running as well as possible was to seperate the limits into individiual DB's (i.e. one PostgreSQL DB named $100NL FT Stats, another named $200NL FT Stats, and so on). I would then open the specific DB for the limit I was playing that session.

Would keeping seperate DB's for seperate limits and seperate sites help keep PT functioning as smooth as possible?

Are there any other tips to keep PT running as smooth as possible when it will be growing so quickly?


Thanks in advance.
ffrllc
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:29 pm

Re: Organizing large DB(s)?

Postby APerfect10 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:29 am

While separating your databases in PT2 may be a good idea (or even necessary), I do not recommend doing this in PokerTracker 3.

I suggest separating your observed hands from your played hands but that is it. This can easily be done via the PT3 import window.

Please read the [url=http://www.pokertracker3.com/products/PT3/docs/s6s]Database Management & Maintenance Guide[/urls6s] which discusses multiple databases, separating your played vs observed hands, as well as maintenance that should be performed to keep PokerTracker 3 and PostgreSQL running at peak efficiency.

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Organizing large DB(s)?

Postby Goomashroom » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:39 am

That's an excellent guide on databases, but I have a related question:

I notice that in my "PT3 Observed" database, it's not saving anybody's hand histories, presumably because I have unchecked "Store Hand History Text", correct?

If I end up with a large observed database, will leaving this box unchecked minimize the size of it by a lot? I'm guessing that storing the hand histories will add a lot to the size of the database (maybe like 2x-ish the size?)
Goomashroom
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:08 am

Re: Organizing large DB(s)?

Postby Josh » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:43 am

It will minimize the size a lot. However, not storing the hand histories can cause problems. For example, we plan on making more changes to the database schema. Without those hand histories, you will lose all your datamined information. In the future, we may be expanding the database more, so you'll want those hand histories. Storing the hand histories takes up roughly 100 MB for every million hands in your database.

You could not store the hand history information in your database, but instead, archive the processed files (compress them to save space). That way, you get the benefit of a smaller database, but you don't risk losing all that data, as you can re-import the saved files if needed.
Josh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6222
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:03 pm


Return to General [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests