by bugsbunny » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:10 pm
This isn't a big deal to me but thought I would throw it out. At the least it might make an interesting option.
People have traditionally used it the way you mention (as a limit independent view), but that may well be because that was the only way it was ever presented. And ultimately I'm not sure if that's valid. Limit's do make a difference and impact earn rates. Theoretically at least (although not necessarily true in reality - at least not always) competition should get tougher as you move up in limits.
A weighted average is more accurate when looking at things like bankroll requirements for the levels that you're currently playing. Especially if it's a constant mix (eg 1 table of a higher limit + 2 tables of a lower limit).
Most people play at 1 given limit, with occasional forays into other limits - for them it really wouldn't make much difference since the weighting of their normal limit would overwhelm the sporadic forays. And when people are (considering) moving up a limit they'll look at the limits independently of each other anyways.
I'm done with this now.