Page 1 of 1

Do database chunks affect PC performance?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:43 pm
by mcronix
Hey
So I have a rapidly growing Postgres DB (about 1.5million hands) which I believe is stored in 1gb chunks by poker tracker?
Anyways, I've been defragging my hard drive recently and the only files that don't defrag are the DB ones which leaves the defrag status window very messy. I assume this will affect PC performance as usual fragmentation does? Is there a way to sort this or am I concerned about nothing?
Thanks in advance

Re: Do database chunks affect PC performance?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:32 am
by ptrack pat
which I believe is stored in 1gb chunks by poker tracker?


PT doesn't have anything to do with how PostgreSQL stores the files. I'm not sure why these wouldn't defrag, I'm not knowledgeable with the inner workings of PostgreSQL.

Re: Do database chunks affect PC performance?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:21 pm
by WhiteRider
In the PT3 forums it has been suggested that you need to stop the postgres service (Start -> Programs -> Postgres -> Stop Service) before defragging, and maybe even rebooting in Safe Mode. Or failing that, there are applications that will manage the defrag for you, but I can't remember what they are.